Monday, May 7, 2007

This is not a short relation

When I think of puritan pride and the quakers I think of a peace-loving, hermet-like group (as in they keep to themselves). I was unprepared for the fanaticism and proselytism apparent in "This is a Short Relation" by Daniel Baker, Sarah Cheever and Katherine Evans. What I read was not a short relation by any means. It was an outpouring of conservative christian drivel that kept on repeating the same tenets (praise god, the heavier the cross the greater the crown). I do admire the authors for standing up to the inquisitors. That must have taken no small amount of courage. However in many ways the authors were very much like the inquisitors in believing that their religion was righteous over any other religion. Just because the quaker bible differed in sayings from the catholic church the two christian religion representatives were at each other's throats. I am glad that such a time period is over, when two sects come to fisticuffs over so small a matter. Maybe this time isn't over for other religions, like Islam. Whenever people believe in a religion so thoroughly where they are willing to die for that said religion, watch out. I don't think I will ever look at the quaker religion the same way.

No comments: